Tuesday 27 January 2009

A Tori

Many years ago I lived in Tokyo and saw some wonderful temples in Tokyo itself as well as in Kyoto.  The peace and tranquility that surrounds these places just envelopes you as you approach.  The actual act of passing through the gate is supposed to purify the soul.

One of the most famous is the Tori, or gateway to a temple, at Miyajima which is a boat ride of about 40 minutes from Hiroshima.

I have not tried to depict this Tori but wished only to convey the feeling of calm and so this painting is not a true replication but only one based on such a sight!

frontFor further information about this encaustic please follow this link to my Etsy shop where you will find it listed.

image

3 comments:

AltheaP said...

Such an interesting life you've had so far, Pat! Lovely and surreal painting, too.

Chauncey said...

great painting. I don't think I had even heard the word Tori before ...except of course, Tori Spelling. hehe

maryeb said...

It's beautiful. I think you captured the feeling.
And I appreciate the extra information. I learn so much from your posts.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin